Sunday, March 08, 2009

Eons Since Habitat

Wow.
September 15th, 2007. That is the last regular comment post on Habitat that I can see that I have written on my blog. That was 2.5 months into my position as Hardware Supervisor at CTCR store #654. June 27th, 2008 was my last day on that job. I have also enrolled in AND FINISHED a carpentry pre-apprenticeship course, and am now 800+ hours into my apprenticeship with Local 27; Carpenter's Union.

Since my last post, I have continued to volunteer with Habitat on a fairly regular basis, contributing about 36 days in 2008 (that averages to one day every week or every two weeks, spread out over the year). My time at Habitat is sometimes sporadic; based on what else is going on in my life, sometimes 8 days a month, sometimes 2 months without. I do what I can, when I can.

I have also experienced my first clashes with Habitat in a few ways since I last wrote, but I also think they are starting to work themselves through, if not out.

Brian (one of the site supers) is now a Proud Pappa - as of September 2nd, 2008, the VERY DAY I finished crocheting the baby blanket I had made to give him! Naomi __ Thornton ... can't remember her middle name. But that is one of the wonderful things that has happened. Soon she will be volunteering for Habitat, and building houses of her own! Although she will probably start off with just the Gingerbread Builds. We gotta start'em small!

There have also been two Volunteer Appreciation Nights since I last wrote a regular Habitat post. The 19th Anniversary was a little boring; although the winner of the youth volunteer award was very cute! (they were not a kid, but a young adult, relax people!) The 20th Anniversary, on the other hand, was amazing! It was very well done, and it was at the Steam Whistle Brewery, a place I suggest they host it at next year! The event was also very well-paced, with speeches interspersed between ample time to mix and mingle.

Whereas some people were taking advantage of the "Brewery" location, I just went C+ style; all out for the orange pop! Well, I hope that this year I am able to contribute more to my Habitat adventures. Whether or not I am ever able to retell all that I have missed reporting on, I will not push myself to do. Just as long as I try to keep up in my writing with my Habitat participation this year, is all I can hope to achieve.

No comments: